Pages

Monday, March 14, 2011

The Profundity of Beauty

Most women are not comfortable in their own skin. The media is readily targeted as the most devious culprit in this matter, but I have learned that it is within a woman’s vain imagination that she is likely to find the root cause of her lack of self-confidence. If she is honest, she will admit that more often than not, she is her own worst enemy.  Well, I’ll admit it as a part of my past and happily announce that I have become my own acquired taste.

Until last week, only three men had ever seen me without make-up: my father, my son, and a friend who caught me in a Wal-Mart trying to replace a coffee pot in the middle of the night (I tried to hide from him).  I managed dating and two long term relationships staying one step ahead of ever being seen without my “face” on.  I even warned my best friend that if I were ever in a coma and was awaken to find that I had been allowed to convalesce without at minimum my foundation, blush, lipstick and mascara, my subsequent ire would find her as my ex best friend.

A combination of residual self-consciousness thanks to my days as an acne-prone teenager, an ongoing battle with adult acne, as well as a poor rendering and interpretation of the mythical “Proverbs 31 Woman” during my days as an active church member held me hostage to the mask I thought I had to wear. I believed that I was more exposed without makeup than without clothing. And the paint covered up so much more than my bare face.

As comfortable as I had been with my face painting ritual, I knew that one day I would have to put down the brushes, sponges and cotton balls and face my bare, naked self; and allow someone else to do the same. I did not know when this great reckoning would occur, but I knew that the motivator of this “face-off” would have to be the mate to my soul—the one who could do what no one had done before: take me by the heart and by the hand, and seeing beauty in my perceived exposure, pull me out of the web of my self-consciousness.

Last week I presented myself sans make-up. To my surprise, the request triggered more reflection than anxiety. My acquiescence gave me a new measure of freedom as its inheritance. My own beauty has been confirmed from within.  I now possess the gifts of bare passion and great courage. 

This emancipation lacks the power to coax me into a permanent state of “make-up commando”.  I remain committed to the notion that “every house can stand a coat of paint”. Besides, I love playing in make-up and I want to look my best at all times. It does, however, mean that love and liberty have replaced an unnecessary, self-inflicted burden.

I wish the same for my sister-readers.

Camille